Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dust of the Snowshoes!

It's that time of year again! With a fresh 6 inches of snow over the weekend we have seen the official arrival of Winter....and that means snowshoeing! It's funny. Before I started snowshoeing I really didn't get it. I understood what snowshoes were and how they worked but I never really grasped the adventure that snowshoeing opens you up to.

The biggest thing with snowshoeing is the places it allows you to go. With a decent snowfall you can simply strap on the shoes and take off through the woods. No trail needed. The design of current snowshoes has come a long way from wood "tennis rackets" strapped to your feet. They're light weight, durable, and can climb and descend steep snow covered slopes with ease. They make experiencing snow a whole different ballgame!

If you haven't tried snowshoeing I recommend getting out and giving it a go. There a plenty of shops that sell, and rent, snowshoes in Big Bear and plenty of places to put them to use. I'm going to dust of my snowshoes and keep my fingers crossed for more snow! See you out there.


Some Links to Get you Started!


 
  (The Premier Snowshoe Event in Southern California)


 (Snowshoe Outfitter/Rentals)

No comments:

Post a Comment