Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Endure the Bear Race Recap

(The scene at Friday night registration)

Endure the Bear 2011 was an outstanding day of trail races in Big Bear. Here's how my day went. 

I woke at 4:30 to the sound of thunder but fortunately the rain held off and we had a perfect day for running. After watching the 50k start and getting a good warmup in it was time to go. I knew the 30k course well and also knew the guys that I was running with...and that they were fast. My goal was to push myself though and try to keep up.

The first 5k is straight up hill to the top of the ridge. It's tough. By the time I got to 2N10 I was in 4th place and could start to feel the beginning of what we become a downward spiral. The conditions were outstanding though and despite not running as well as I had hoped I was have a blast out there. The ridge line is always a tough run. There are some big hills to go up.

As I neared the turnoff onto Plantation I could still see 3rd place in front of me but that wouldn't last for long. Plantation is a great single track to run. It even has a big ol puddle right in the middle of it! This section was tons of fun and then it was back to the uphill. 2N17 is a brutal hill and it put a hurtin on me. As I got to the top I could hear the footsteps of 5th place behind me. I wasn't ready to give in yet though and though I'd make one last surge. I flew down Cabin 89. It hurt but it was so much fun. I love running down hill...up hill, not so much. I knew I was in for a hard time as I still had to go up 1E01 but though there was a chance I could maintain. It broke me. I got to the top in rough shape and soon after that was passed by a steady stream of guys...and one girl!

(Post Race I was a mess but still tons of fun!)

I managed to hobble across the finish line in 2 hours and 57 minutes which was good for 10th overall. My hips and knees were trashed but I'm going to chalk that up to post Ironman fatigue. The finish line was outstanding as was the race venue. Really the whole day was a blast. The course was well marked (partially by me!), the aid stations were great, volunteers were awesome, vibe was just right. Really was the best race of it's kind that I have participated in!

Masters Marathon World Champ Tony Torres absolutely crushed the course, and the rest of the field, clocking in at 2:14 for the demanding course. 2nd went to Jesse Haynes in 2:26 and 3rd to Ted Devito in 2:33. Wendy Marshall went 2:55 to win the Women's race and was followed by Kim Ammons in 3:05 and Robbin Conlon in 3:12. Complete results and photo links below.

Looking forward to next years race...might take on the 50k!

Results

Photos

Great video of the race and photos by Mountain Fitness Center Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment